Lawyer | Sydney
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Permanent|
|Attachments:|| New Position Description - ME- EL1 Lawyer 201802.pdf (PDF, 73KB)
- Opportunity to develop your career in a rewarding environment
- Support high profile investigations and litigation conducted on behalf of ASIC
- Fulltime ongoing position available based in either Sydney or Melbourne
At ASIC there is a reason for everything we do, every law we regulate, every action we take, every interaction we have with industry and consumers. We're proud of the difference we make to Australia's economic reputation and wellbeing.
The Market Integrity Group (MIG) ensures trust and confidence in Australia's Financial markets by looking at infrastructure providers, market participants, investment banks, market conduct, trading issues and supervision of listed and OTC markets.
As part of MIG, Market Enforcement investigates suspected market misconduct and takes formal enforcement action in response to suspected breaches of the Corporations Act and Market Integrity Rules. This includes commencing civil proceedings, working with the Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecution (CDPP) to secure criminal convictions and taking administrative action through the Market Disciplinary Panel and ASIC delegates.
As a Lawyer you will make an important contribution by:
- Conducting investigations and litigation on behalf of ASIC in relation to breaches of relevant financial services and criminal legislation
- Identifying legal issues and providing legal advice in the course of an investigation
- Initiating and conducting civil litigation in the Supreme Court and Federal Court
- Assisting with litigation process by compiling briefs to the CDPP and supporting the CDPP to prepare and conduct criminal prosecutions
- Supporting project teams to compile administrative briefs to ASIC delegates, and representing ASIC at delegate hearings
As a Lawyer within MIG will have experience as a legal practitioner in a commercial and/or criminal investigation and litigation capacity including the capability to undertake investigations in law enforcement or a regulatory environment. You will be required to have an advanced ability to analyse complex financial data and effectively manage internal and external stakeholder relationships. You are required to have a tertiary qualification or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline to undertake this role.
ASIC can offer you a variety of interesting and challenging work. We provide the support for our employees to develop professionally and succeed. ASIC offers a range of programs such as flexible work practices and development programs which include a focus on gender equity and women in leadership.
ASIC is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace where the very best talent in Australia chooses to work. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply, including Indigenous Australians and people with a disability.
To work with us, you'll be required to satisfy our pre-engagement assessment and obtain a national security clearance. Australian citizenship is also required.
Please view the attached position description for more information on the specific responsibilities of the role available and click ‘apply' to submit your application.