Senior Lawyer | Melbourne
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Permanent|
|Attachments:|| Position Description - ME- EL2 Senior Lawyer.pdf (PDF, 77KB)
- Play a leading role in complex regulatory litigation
- Full-time permanent, based conveniently in Melbourne
- Competitive salary from $118,513 to $137,829 (depending on experience) with 15.4% superannuation
At ASIC there is a reason for everything we do, every law we regulate, every action we take, every interaction we have with industry and consumers. We are proud of the difference we make to Australia's economic reputation and wellbeing.
The Market Integrity Group (MIG) ensures trust and confidence in Australia's Financial markets by looking at infrastructure providers, market participants, investment banks, market conduct, trading issues and supervision of listed and OTC markets.
As part of MIG, Market Enforcement investigates suspected market misconduct and takes formal enforcement action in response to suspected breaches of the Corporations Act and Market Integrity Rules. This includes commencing civil proceedings, working with the Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecution (CDPP) to secure criminal convictions and taking administrative action through the Market Disciplinary Panel
As a Senior Lawyer, you will contribute to the work of the Market Enforcement team by:
- project managing the investigation of suspected misconduct, including investigative tasks of a non-legal nature,
- identifying legal issues and providing legal advice in the course of an investigation,
- commencing and conducting civil litigation and criminal prosecutions in the Supreme and Federal Courts, including briefing and instructing counsel and where appropriate recovering costs of litigations,
- compiling briefs for the Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecution (CDPP) and assisting them to prepare and conduct criminal prosecutions,
- compiling administrative briefs to ASIC delegates and representing ASIC at delegates hearings,
We require an experienced Senior Lawyer with demonstrated experience in preparing civil proceedings or criminal briefs and an understanding of civil or criminal procedures. You will have a record of achieving legal outcomes, enjoy working in a fast-paced team environment. You will have tertiary qualifications in Law. Experience working in markets and financial services, and applying the Corporations Act, ASIC Act and other relevant legislation is desirable.
ASIC can offer you a variety of interesting and challenging work. We support our employees to develop professionally and succeed. ASIC offers a range of programs flexible work practices and programs that support gender equity and women in leadership.
ASIC is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace where the very best talent in Australia chooses to work. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply, including Indigenous Australians and people with a disability.
To work with us, you'll be required to satisfy our pre-engagement assessment and obtain a national security clearance. Australian citizenship is also required.
Please view the attached position description for more information on the specific responsibilities of the role available and click ‘apply' to submit your application.