Senior Lawyer, Administrative Law | Sydney
|Position Type:||Non-ongoing - Temporary|
|Attachments:|| PD - CLO - Senior Lawyer, Administrative Law - EL 2.pdf (PDF, 145KB)
- Salary from $118,513 (depending on experience) + 15.4% superannuation
- Sydney CBD location
- Non-ongoing role for 18 months
At ASIC there is a reason for everything we do, every law we regulate, every action we take, every interaction we have with industry and consumers. We're proud of the difference we make to Australia's economic reputation and wellbeing.
An exciting, non-ongoing opportunity has become available in ASIC's Administrative Law Team (ALT). The ALT sits within ASIC's Chief Legal Office (CLO). The CLO advises internal stakeholders on complex or novel regulatory matters and is involved in all major cases ASIC is conducting. The CLO also advises the Commission and others on law reform, major contracts and also drafts and settles class orders
As a Senior Lawyer in the Administrative Law Team, you will be required to:
- Defend administrative decisions made by ASIC in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) and Federal Court
- Have carriage of AAT proceedings and judicial review applications filled in the Federal Court relating to administrative decisions made by ASIC, including appearance work
- Provide oversight and advice on the conduct of complex matters in the AAT and Federal Court
- Provide comprehensive advisory services to all of ASIC regarding administrative law matters
- Brief senior Enforcement staff and the Commission on administrative law proceedings
To be successful in this role, you will have a tertiary legal qualification and, at minimum, be eligible to hold a Restricted Government Legal Practicing Certificate in NSW. You will ideally be experienced in administrative law or civil litigation, with extensive exposure to court and tribunal practice and procedure. You will also have a detailed knowledge (or a demonstrated ability to attain) of the Corporations Act, ASIC Act, Legal Services Directions and other relevant legislation and policies.
ASIC can offer you a variety of interesting and challenging work. We provide the support for our employees to develop professionally and succeed. ASIC offers a range of programs such as flexible work practices and development programs which include a focus on gender equity and women in leadership.
ASIC is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace where the very best talent in Australia chooses to work. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply, including Indigenous Australians and people with a disability.
To work with us, you must be an Australian citizen, and be prepared to complete an ASIC Organisational Suitability Assessment in addition to obtaining a Government Security Clearance which is issued by the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency.
Please view the position description for more information or click ‘apply' to start your application.