Lawyers and Investigators - Enforcement | Sydney
|Attachments:|| Position Description - FSE EL1 - Enforcement Lawyer - 201910.pdf (PDF, 111KB)
Position Description - FSE - AS4 - Enforcement Lawyer.pdf (PDF, 115KB)
- Drive complex investigations and litigation and actively contribute to a fairer financial system for consumers
- Permanent opportunities (full-time or part-time), Sydney CBD location
- Work-life balance, professional development and 15.4% superannuation
A future with ASIC means that your work will contribute to ASIC's vision for a fair, strong and efficient financial system for all Australians. We value what you will bring. We value those with sharp, analytical minds and are open to challenging the way things are done.
Financial Services Enforcement (FSE) investigates suspected misconduct and takes enforcement action in response to suspected breaches of financial services, credit and insurance laws. This includes commencing civil proceedings, working with the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) to secure criminal convictions and taking administrative action to cancel Australian financial services and Australian credit licences and ban persons from engaging in financial services and credit activity.
As a Lawyer, you will play an important role in leading complex financial services and wealth management investigations of breaches of the Corporations Act 2001, Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001, relevant State and Commonwealth criminal legislation and other financial services legislation.
- Contribute to large and complex investigations of suspected misconduct by developing investigation strategy, planning and conducting the investigations, leading staff and managing resources to ensure a timely and effective outcome;
- identify legal issues and provide advice during an investigation - this may include advice as to evidence required to prove contraventions of legislation, admissibility of evidence in Court and the use of ASIC's discretionary powers;
- commence and conduct civil litigation in the Supreme Court or Federal Court;
- compile briefs of evidence for the CDPP and assist the CDPP to prepare and conduct criminal prosecutions; and
- compile administrative briefs to ASIC delegates, liaise with delegates and represent ASIC at administrative hearings.
Providing professional advice, guidance and coaching others to success is an important part of this role.
Please note that we have roles available at both ASIC 4 (1-4 years PAE required) and Executive Level 1 (4+ years PAE required). The base salary for ASIC 4 ranges from $81,427 to $91,268, and Executive Level 1 from $106,109 to $117,647. Both levels of role attract 15.4% superannuation and a performance bonus scheme.
We are looking for people with an inquisitive and analytical mind set who are comfortable working with complex information in a changing environment. You will enjoy having accountability for leading investigations and working with a team to meet time sensitive deadlines.
You will have experience project managing complex investigations and/or litigation, an ability to prioritise work and be an articulate communicator with exceptional written skills. You will be adept in analysing and working with large volumes of digital information.
ASIC is Australia's integrated corporate, markets, financial services and consumer credit regulator.
ASIC has a broad mandate. We are a regulator; a policy advisory body; a consumer protection agency; a licensing body; a financial educator and consumer advocate; and a company and professional registry. And we are a law enforcement agency.
This work is directed to one principal aim: to realise ASIC's vision for a fair, strong and efficient financial system for all Australians.
Underpinning ASIC's vision is the recognition that every cent in the financial system is other people's money.
A future with ASIC means that your work will contribute to achieving ASIC's vision.
To work with us, you must be an Australian citizen, and be prepared to complete an ASIC Suitability and Baseline Assessment which is issued by ASIC's Personnel Security Team.
Please view the position description for more information or click ‘apply' to start your application.