Litigation Counsel/Litigation Senior Specialist
Chief Legal Office
With ASIC you are choosing to be a part of a collegiate and stimulating organisation that's transforming Australia's financial system.
Be the change that ensures a fair, strong and efficient financial system for the benefit of all Australians.
Are you an experienced and resourceful litigator looking for the opportunity to conduct high profile, challenging and rewarding litigation?
Are you ready for a role that provides the opportunity to drive strategy and conduct complex matters that make a difference for all Australians? And are you looking to be part of a collegiate team offering a flexible working environment?
The Civil Litigation team leads ASIC's in-house litigation practice. Litigation Counsel act as the solicitor on the record and are responsible for the conduct of ASIC's civil litigation in the High Court of Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the State Supreme Courts. Litigation Senior Specialists work closely with Litigation Counsel (often with a high degree of autonomy) to conduct these matters
The Civil Litigation team also manages ASIC's relationship with external law firms and provides strategic guidance in those matters where ASIC has engaged an external law firm.
The Civil Litigation team is part of ASIC's Chief Legal Office and works closely with Enforcement teams and the Commission.
You will deliver high quality representation and advice in matters conducted by ASIC's in-house practice by:
- acting as solicitor on the record (or working closely with the solicitor on the record for Litigation Senior Specialists) and being responsible for civil litigation conducted by ASIC's in-house litigation practice
- providing strategic advice and guidance to the Commission in relation to ASIC regulatory litigation, and
- providing advice to Enforcement teams related to the conduct of investigations.
You will also manage ASIC's relationship with its panel firms, advise on the selection of firms and provide strategic guidance in matters in which a firm is engaged.
ASIC is Australia's corporate, markets, financial services and consumer credit regulator. ASIC is focused on enforcement and conducts a diverse and challenging civil litigation practice. ASIC conducts this practice using a combination of its in-house litigation practice and the use of its panel law firms.
Recent examples of ASIC's civil litigation include:
- 22-097MR Westpac penalised $113 million after multiple ASIC legal actions
- 22-012MR RI Advice to pay $6 million penalty, John Doyle to pay $80,000 penalty: Royal Commission case study
- 22-090MR ASIC sues Rent4Keeps and Layaway Depot for alleged breaches of Credit Act
- 21-364MR Mayfair 101 Group to pay $30 million penalty for misleading advertising
- 21-356MR Former director of Blue Star Helium (formerly Antares Energy and Big Star Energy) James Cruickshank penalised and disqualified
- 21-312MR Melissa Caddick and Maliver found to have engaged in unlicensed conduct
We are looking for team members with substantial practical litigation experience, with strong skills in leading and providing strategic direction and advice on civil matters. You will have experience in project managing complex litigation. We are looking for team members who can communicating with influence to all stakeholders, including Commissioners and Executive Directors.
You hold an unrestricted practising certificate and are admitted to practice in the High Court, Federal Court and relevant State Supreme Court. You have a drive to make a difference conducting a range of important regulatory and test case litigation, which is central to ASIC's role.
If you want to play a pivotal role in high profile and rewarding litigation matters, have a growth mindset and thrive in an agile environment with interesting and challenging work, we would love to hear from you.
ASIC is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace where the very best talent in Australia chooses to work. We offer a competitive salary and generous superannuation, flexible work, and unique and challenging work that will stretch you.
View the position descriptions for more information or click 'apply' to express your interest.
At ASIC, we're proud of the difference we make to Australia's economic reputation and wellbeing.
Our values – accountability, professionalism and teamwork – underpin everything we do.