Special Counsel, Criminal Law | Sydney
|Position Type:||ASIC Act|
|Attachments:|| Position Description - Special Counsel (SES)- Criminal Law (3).pdf (PDF, 139KB)
Senior Executive Level position based in Sydney
At ASIC there is a reason for everything we do, every law we regulate, every action we take, every interaction we have with industry and consumers. We're proud of the difference we make to Australia's economic reputation and wellbeing.
The Chief Legal Office is responsible for a wide range of legal matters including providing advice and oversight in respect of major cases being conducted by ASIC, providing advice in respect of complex or novel regulatory matters and advising the Commission and senior officers as to their legal rights and responsibilities.
As Special Counsel, your primary role will be to provide expert legal advice and strategic guidance to multi-disciplinary investigation teams in relation to complex investigations into serious white collar crime. You will also:
- collaborate with the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) in relation to complex criminal prosecutions, including sentencing hearings and appeals
- manage relationships with internal stakeholders and the Commission, the CDPP and other investigative agencies
- develop criminal law policies and practices within ASIC
- mentor and coach lawyers in the Chief Legal Office and investigation teams; and
- contribute to the management of the Chief Legal Office.
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced criminal lawyer who possesses expert knowledge in corporate/white collar crime, including offences in the Corporations Act, the Criminal Code (Cth) and State and Territory legislation. Knowledge of and experience in proceeds of crime proceedings is also desirable.
Your expertise may be a result of working as a prosecutor (at the CDPP, a State/Territory DPP or the Bar), at another government investigative agency or in private practice.
You will be admitted to practice in an Australian Jurisdiction and possess Australian Citizenship.
Please submit a covering letter addressing your experience and qualifications aligned to the position description with your resume.